Tuesday 7 September 2021

Comic sans (magic)

When I set up this blog I decided to call it “can you just wordsmith this”, because it’s the kind of thing people ask me to do in my job.
They don’t think anything of it, and to be honest neither did I really… until it was pointed out to me that it’s the kind of thing people ask comms professionals to do which unwittingly demeans the role to a certain extent.
A bit like “can you just work your magic on this?”, it suggests that “doing comms” is a job anyone can do, given the time. Therefore it’s a simple job to knock something together that’s nearly there, and then just hand it over for publication. Just stick a funny headline on it, make sure it’s got all the necessary full-stops, and voila. Comms!
Never mind if it’s not planned, or has no strategic value, just stick it out there and tick a box. If no-one reads it, or it has no discernible effect, that’s probably because the comms person didn’t work enough magic on it.
To illustrate the point I drew up this little cartoon. It’s a little bit of fun which I hope you enjoy…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on RAICo1

Being a comms person can be a solitary existence - particularly during Covid-19, for obvious reasons. Yes, we need to speak to people to get...